22 November 2006

Thanksgiving

Before I get started with the list of things for which I'm thankful, let me direct your attention to an opinion piece on usatoday.com which is probably the most cogent, well-thought-out, and succinct piece on the use of scripture as a gay-bashing weapon, Buzz Thomas' When Religion Loses Its Credibility. Brilliant, that!

So, as we Yanks catch up on the calendar with our Kanuk brethren north of the border and finally celebrate Thanksgiving, I'll take a traditional pause to acknowledge and give thanks for my blessings. This year has been quite a trial, but it has brought me things for which I'm grateful.

My health. I have lost about forty pounds (18 kgs, almost 3 stone) this year. Away with that weight went nerve tingling in my hands and arms, terribly painful GERD attacks, high blood pressure, elevated blood glucose levels, and fatigue. My mental health has had its ups and downs, but might be improving, too. Through most of this year, I've been troubled by events and situations at work. This past week, a few rays of sunshine began peeking tentatively through the clouds of depression. I'm not sure that anything has changed other than my attitude, but I'm grateful because I feel a bit better about my work situation. If I do leave my job to attend law school next fall, I'd like to leave on a positive note that's congruent with the twelve good years that I've had with the same employer and I'd like to restore some of my battered confidence, all of which I'll need for school.

My family. I've always been close to my Mum, Mamaw, and Papaw, the maternal side of my family. Recently, I've grown closer to Pops and his side of my family. This year, I said goodbye for the final time to Granny, my paternal grandmother. I witnessed quite closely her decline of health and the last weeks of her demise. During that time, I saw everyone pull together to comfort her and one another. Experiencing both the loss of a loved one and the love flowing between us has made me very glad that I've reconnected with my paternals and quite thankful for them as a unit and individually.

My home. A long-time friend and his partner recently took in an acquaintance from church who was in need of a place to stay after he wore out his welcome with another family. I'm so glad that I have a place to go every evening to feel secure and to welcome family and friends so that I needn't depend on the charity of others for shelter. Along with my home, I'm thankful for my job, my car, and my animals, which make my home life possible and richer.

My friends. I think that I'd have my choice of friends with whom I could stay if I were in need of shelter. From giving me cast-off furniture, to looking after my animals for an extended period, to treating me to the occasional lunch or dinner, to just having me over for drinks, I have so enjoyed spending time with my many friends. I hope that I have returned their kindness in some small measure or at least passed it on.

Jeff. This year began with the immediate aftermath of the end of nearly eleven years with Jeff. Divorce is never easy. I witnessed my own parents' divorce and related proceedings drag on for seventeen years. However, if I had to do it all over again, there's little that I would want different about the way that Jeff and I split up. He remained supportive and as sympathetic and understanding as he could be given his immediate role in the situation. I would certainly not trade our time together for not having to go through our separation, for there was much love there and it made me much of who I am today.

Chris. In the midst of my separation from Jeff, a near stranger from my past walked back into my life. Chris is warm, gentle, and smart and has given me so much love and support, not to mention the opportunity for a long, exciting trip to a fairly exotic foreign country. I like to think that, in return, I've given him a bit more than a few small gifts and soggy shoulders.

This list looked quite familiar as I looked back over it. I realized that these are the same things for which I express appreciation to God when I pray each night, though they're in roughly the opposite order when I pray, because what's the use in building suspense for a dramatic close when you're talking to God? Nevertheless, let's certainly take the day that's set aside for such purposes and be thankful for what we have, but let's also set aside just a minute for daily reflection on our blessings. :J

No comments: