05 November 2006

Glorious Republic of Justin, Ministry of Information, Report of Week

I ought to be listing stuff on E-Bay for the upcoming shopping, er, holiday season and I am, indeed, relisting some things that didn't sell previously. But, I'm feeling uninspired. The fact is that I'm distracted; a friend pointed me to a shopping site called Bim Bam Banana where I found some quite unique gift ideas like this puzzle alarm clock or this lung-shaped ash tray. Please do not take this as a subtle hint to buy either one of these items for me, lest you find it regifted to you on the next convenient occasion!

I received in the mail several days ago a voucher for two free tickets to the new Grand Theatre here in Winston-Salem, which is located in a converted Super K-Mart on University Parkway. Unfortunately, it was set to expire on the day that Chris returns from Manila, so I chatted up my friend, PJ, who recently moved back to North Carolina from California. We hadn't yet had a chance to spend any time together, so we arranged to see Borat. Oh my stars! When, not if, you see this picture, do yourself a favor and wear a diaper, because you will likely piss yourself; it's that funny. The main character, Borat, has come to the United States to film a documentary so that the Kazakh people and government could learn from our culture. At first based in New York, they begin a cross-country trek, driven by Borat's newly-found obsession with Pamela Anderson. Along the way, he and his producer try to learn American social customs and humor with poor results. They find themselves in numerous awkward situations that are hilarious and painful to watch. PJ actually had to leave the auditorium in search of cookie dough bits with which to comfort himself as Borat prepared to sing the national anthem at a rodeo in Salem VA.

After the movie, I drove over to the home of Jeff (Chris' cousin) and Dan, who were having a belated Hallowe'en party. (I suspect as much to alleviate crowding on the calendar last weekend as to take advantage of 75% off Hallowe'en regalia -- men after my own heart!) Not being one to dress in costume, I had originally planned to not attend, but I decided to at least drop by and say hello as long as I was out, since they were nice enough to invite me. I'm so glad that I did go to the party! Jeff and Dan are welcoming and gracious hosts and make friends very easily. I caught up with friends that I'd made at their August luau as well as made some new friends.

Later today, I'm heading over to Mocksville for lunch with Pops and Jeannie, then to visit my great aunt Bert, Granny's only surviving sibling, who's had a fall since Granny's funeral and is recuperating at home. After that, it's church this evening and back to the grind tomorrow. Mmmm... grind... grounds... coffee... mmm. :J

1 comment:

mka said...

Justin,

In relation to the conversation we were having over on my blog - thought this might be of interest:

http://christinekane.com/blog/
"How to Breakup with your TV"