22 August 2006

Investing in the Future

I've been a fan of investing for a few years now and have a few alms stashed here and there in several of the common acronym accounts (IRA, 401-K, SEP, 403-B, CD, etc). However, you won't find any information in this entry about dividend reinvestment, mutual funds, ETFs, or short selling. (I will, however, recommend that you read Your Money or Your Life: Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin.) The topic here is a different kind of investment.

Over the past few weeks, I've invested a few hundred dollars in my career future, registering for the LSAT (the Law School Admissions Test) and an LSAT preparation class. A variety of events, both at work and at home, have led me to examine my goals and the direction of my life and career. I considered a few different career-change options, including technical writing and project management, but a serendipitous conversation with my attorney during a meeting to revise my estate plans led me to consider a career in the law. Trusts, estate, and tax law seem to be a good match for my talents, skills, and abilities, so I decided to apply to law school. I've talked to several friends who are attorneys, read several books on law school and careers in the law, and have set the process in motion for anticipated enrollment in Fall 2007.

Just today, I invested a considerable sum in a different type of vehicle -- an airplane, or, part of one. This is not a business investment, but rather a personal investment. Specifically, I bought a ticket to Manila, where my boyfriend, Chris, is temporarily assigned for work. Our relationship had blossomed and been growing for about five months when he left for Manila on 15 July for what was originally a two-month assignment, but which has extended to a four-month assignment. Being apart has been more difficult than either of us imagined, so given the positive direction in which we were and still are headed, I've determined that this investment vehicle is likely to yield increasing dividends for many years to come.

My divorce late last year and uncertainties at work earlier this year have put me at the crossroads of a challenge and an opportunity. I don't remember where, but I read earlier today a "quote" attributed to the infamous Yogi Berra -- "When you come to a fork in the road, take it!" :J

1 comment:

Dave said...

Blessing and good luck on your investments, and I hope the dividends are uncountable!