07 July 2007

Renaissance Man

Though it came and went with little aplomb and no confetti, ticker-tape, or even a cake was involved, Monday, 2 July 2007 was one of the most significant days of my life. In about five minutes' time, I printed a letter that I'd previously composed, signed it, and handed it to my department manager. In this unceremonious way, I quit my job.

This is a big deal for anyone and I know of few people who would expect any sort of flourish of chads to accompany it (with the possible exception of Rip Taylor), but it was a huge deal for me. Where I currently work is the ONLY place that I have held a full-time job and I have been here full-time for fourteen years. In State Employee years, that's nearly half-way to retirement. Add to it the four years that I spent in this same building as a part-time student employee and the sum is half of my lifetime!

My colleague, Franklin, who is a year older than me, who began working full-time in the Library at the same age as I, and with whom I have worked in the same department for the past ten years, told me that it would feel strange for him to come to work without me there. I jokingly asked him what he'd do and suggested that he join me in my renaissance by going to medical school; he confessed that he had, indeed, briefly entertained such notions. (Maybe when everyone in his family who's currently in school finishes.)

Franklin might not know how he will feel to come to work and find my chair empty, but with what I look forward to, I imagine that it will feel wonderful! :J

No comments: