14 May 2007

Turning Blue

To say that the past couple of weeks have been a flurry would be the metaphorical equivalent of saying that Katrina was a bad thunderstorm. (I don't mean to make light of the profound effect that the hurricane had on an untold number of lives, but rather to illustrate a question of degree in an apt and effective manner.) As I prepared to move house, guerrilla packing and schlepping gave way this past Wednesday to an all-out assault that lasted for four days.

I took off last Wednesday (9 May) to pack and prepare to move on Saturday (12 May). My friend, Leslie, had lent me her large pick-up truck and I thought that two days would be ample time to move the few belongings that I had left. As I buzzed about sorting, organizing, and packing, the folly of my accomplishing this feat in two days became desperately and excruciatingly obvious. I called my boss on Thursday morning and begged off for the rest of the week. During those four days, I cried; I clawed at my face; I wailed and gnashed my teeth; I kvetched to and sought sympathy from my neighbors, my family, Chris (who was just finishing up a stay in Manila), Leslie, even Jeff, and anyone else who'd listen. In-between my machinations, I managed to convey eight (8) truckloads of stuff to a storage unit (and filled it nearly to bursting) while five (5) truckloads found their way into Leslie's garage. Everyone has been very supportive and I am indebted to my friend, Ken, and my neighbor, John, for lending their time and labor and vehicles to my cause and to my friend, Leslie, for lending me her truck and giving me space to store my things as well as my dog and myself.

About 90% of the dirty work is now finished. I'm camping out at Leslie's place in Kernersville and I am relaxing a bit ahead of Wednesday's (16 May) closing. I worked calmly today, closing and transferring utilities and planning my budget. I picked up Chris at the airport this afternoon and spent a few hours with him and his family in Salisbury. Tomorrow, I'll be up and at 'em early to swing back by my house and collect my cat, Cilly, and take him to Lucky's Pet Resort and Day Spa for several days. I'll have a day of work at the office on Monday, a final day of work on the house on Tuesday, and closing on Wednesday. [fingers crossed]

I viewed several condos in Greensboro's Sunset Hills community and finally made an offer on one that had been totally renovated, including being kitted out this year with a new kitchen with a dishwasher [drool]. The seller and I reached an agreement, signed the contract, and now the mortgage documents are working their way through and an inspection is on the calendar. I expect to close on 30 May, but hope to begin moving in around 23 May.

Things are moving along at a quick, but smooth pace. Meanwhile, I'm turning blue from holding my breath, hoping that things remain smooth. :J

No comments: