04 April 2007

Law School News

On Thursday of last week (29 March), I arrived home to find in the mail a thin envelope from the law school at Wake Forest University. My heart sank before I even opened it, but I did open it and read the letter that said what I'd guessed that it said. The law school here in the town where I live did not choose to offer me a spot in this fall's entering class. That means that I'll need to sell my house and move to wherever I do end up going to school.

WFU's decision did surprise and disappoint me, but I'm certainly not without options. Elon's new law school is already making a name for itself with its robust program and is forging strong and close ties with the Greensboro legal community. Campbell is well-known in North Carolina for its comprehensive lawyering skills and trial advocacy preparation, as well as its graduates' high passage rates on the bar exam.

Though I've not yet heard from the law schools at UNC Chapel Hill or NCCU, things do seem to be gelling around Elon for me. Just days after I received WFU's rejection, Elon notified me that they'd increased the amount of my scholarship. I also have a lead on a new condominium building in Greensboro that I could afford while in school and that would be an easy drive to Elon's law school in downtown. It doesn't hurt that Chris just bought a unit in that very building!

Another interesting turn of events happened today. Two work colleagues approached my desk with a man that I didn't recognize. He introduced himself, "Hi, I'm Mitchell Counts, Elon's law librarian." Wow! My colleague, Kathy, knew that I'd applied to Elon Law and wanted for me to meet Mitchell while he was visiting our library. Mitchell mentioned that he's on the admissions committee and had probably seen my application. I explained that I was the one that used the tasteless Mary Jo Kopechne and Ted Kennedy metaphor in my personal statement, to which he replied, "Oh, yes! I remember!" And that was the point! My personal statement had stood out from the pack! And they STILL let me in! So, I feel better and better about Elon Law every day and part of me wonders if the decisions from UNC Chapel Hill and NCCU will even matter by the time that they arrive.

I'm sad about selling my house, but I do realize that it's something that I need to do. I think that the time and money spent commuting between Winston-Salem and Greensboro would be far better spent otherwise while I'm in law school. This house was my home with Jeff, but for almost a year, I've come to love it as my home and mine alone. If I were to stay in my house while in law school, I'd have to get a roommate and that would drastically alter the dynamics. I might not want to do it, but I think that it's just best to sell my house and move on. :J

No comments: