14 July 2006

Comings and Goings

My life has been very much in flux for the past couple of weeks with friends and family coming and going on bases both permanent and temporary.

First, the comings. My cousin, Kristin, has moved back to North Carolina after a year in Boston (after having over-wintered there and found the New England winter not to her liking) and settled right here in Winston-Salem! We haven't hooked up yet, but I look forward to hanging out with her often. My cousin, Natalie, is expecting a brand new baby boy any day now. My friend, Donna, is returning to North Carolina from Tacoma and I might make part of the journey with her.

Now, for the goings.

My ex, Jeff, moved out at the end of June. He was supposed to stay put for the rest of this year, but his dream job came available in Richmond and his skills, talents, and knowledge made him an obivous choice for the position -- an archivist of historic preservation documents. Our last 24 hours together were, predictably, quite intense and included a heated discussion and emotional fare-well wishes. It was very hard on Jeff to say good-bye to the animals (and I flatter myself to think to me, too). I got choked up saying good-bye to his parents, my former mother- and father-in-law, but it was difficult to finally see Jeff go, too, as much as I thought I was ready for the day. I realised recently that being a good husband and looking after Jeff provided a feast for my ego and watching him leave, I felt oddly like an eagle parent watch its eaglet jump from the nest for the last time. We've communicated almost daily since Jeff moved, either by phone, e-mail, or chat and he's doing quite well.

Finally, and more recently, I said goodbye to my boyfriend just yesterday morning as I dropped him off at the airport for a two-month work assignment in the Philippines. I'd known for months that the day was coming, I helped him with many of his preparations, and I'm looking after some of his affairs while he's away; nevertheless, it was an emotional event to watch him go through security and round the corner to the gate and I sniffled a bit as I trudged back to the car. Twenty-four hours later, he called to tell me that he'd arrived safely after an uneventful flight and dash through customs.

Several friends have told me that I'm welcome to call and to visit if I'm feeling lonely. Truth be told, part of me has been looking forward to this solitude for an opportunity to process all that has happened in my personal life this year. I need to remember who I am and what are my tastes and make my house my own space; I need to reaccustom myself to look within for some of the things to which I used to look to another; and I need to commune with God and sort out what direction I my life will take from here. :J

No comments: