01 June 2006

Lisa and Kelly's Wedding

I travelled with my friend, Jeff, over last weekend to DC's northern Virginia suburbs to participate in the nuptials of our mutual friends, Lisa and Kelly. Some might recall our travelling to Tappahannock VA around the end of April for Lisa's bridal shower.

Jeff and Lisa were classmates during their undergrad days at WVU. I met her at the wedding of another of their mutual WVU classmates (Sherry) in Charleston WV in 1998. At that time, Lisa was thinking about her career plans; we talked about her interests, her education, and her previous jobs and I eventually convinced her to come to library school at UNCG, where she and Jeff ended up being classmates again! I became quite close with Lisa during her five or so years in NC. I got to know Kelly during his time in NC, too, and was sad to see them move back to the DC area.

When Kelly finally proposed marriage after a six-year courtship, Lisa asked me to be a part of their wedding, acting as Master of Ceremonies, a glorified logistics person and wrangler of flowers and caterers. Jeff was one of her bridal attendants, which resulted in quizzical looks from a very few. I found little strange in that arrangement, since I was a bridal attendant for my friend, Donna, at her wedding in Kansas in 1994.

It was a fun weekend spent catching up with old friends, making new friends (Hiya, Debbie, Corky, Molly, and Shane!), and enjoying good food and drink. (Lisa is every bit as much of a foodie as am I.) The whole affair was very elegant and classy while also being simple and uncomplicated -- not extravagant. Have a look at some photos of the occasion in my Flickr account and enjoy! :J

No comments: