11 May 2006

Happenings Update

Things have been chugging along well enough lately. Things are going well between Chris and me in our budding relationship; Jeff and I are getting along well; the finances are holding steady (knock, knock); and though work is still a stressor, that's even taken a turn for the better!

Chris and I have rather gotten into bowling. Since he and I have been dating, we've gone bowling on more occasions than I ever did in my entire life before. I bought a pair of bowling shoes and there's talk of joining a league in the fall, so I suppose that I'm officially a bowler now! It's fun and rather like writing application code -- you examine the problem, determine a suitable solution, set up everything (your code or your throw), see where the pins fall, and try again.

Speaking of writing code, I recently received some very good news at work. My manager was exploring an opportunity to make a career move back to his hometown in another state; all of my colleagues (not just those in my department) were concerned about how this would affect our organisation in general and my department in particular. My department is a great team; we work well together; and we enjoy an innovative environment -- all important factors for an IT shop that has as diverse an array of responsibilities as we (Web site management, applications development, hardware and software deployment and support, server management, vendor relations, user account and permissions management, data integrity, reports management, etc). Many of us in the department were making contingency plans in case of our manager's departure and many others in the organisation were freaking out about the possibility of losing their in-house support and development. We'd been on these pins and needles for about four months when our manager called us together earlier this week to announce that he'd reached an agreement to stay! Yay! This has been one of the top two stressors in my life this year, so I'm very glad to have it resolved in the best possible way.

An on-line friend from Iowa (Fredrick) will be in town next week, visiting another of his on-line friends. I've invited them to dinner at my house on next Saturday (20 May), so I have a menu to plan, groceries to buy, a house to clean, and food to cook. I'm quite looking forward to this, as it'll be the first time that I'll have met Fredrick, as well as the first dinner party that I'll throw basically on my own. I do enjoy entertaining and I've been told that I'm a pretty good cook. My ex and I made a good team in this respect; several guests at a bridal shower that we attended recently asked us if we were caterers. I'll be interested to see how well I do on my own.

There are many changes still ahead, but I think that I'm holding my own for now and maybe even making a bit of progress. :J

No comments: